Superfood from Portugal: organic Hokkaido pumpkins
Small gourds pack a big punch!
There are around 850 different species of pumpkin, which is one of the world’s oldest cultivated plants.
We import organic Hokkaido pumpkins from Portugal and supply them in 500 kg lots packed in cardboard secondary packaging or in wooden crates.
This super food is planted in March and spends around four months growing under the warm Portuguese sun before being ready for harvest.
Available from June to November.
An essential part of a balanced diet!
Low in calories and full of healthy nutrients, the Hokkaido pumpkin can be eaten whole, as the skin is packed with beta-carotene! It is also a great source of vitamins B1, B2 and B6, vitamins C and E, and folate, magnesium, iron and phosphorus. The Hokkaido pumpkin is a veritable superfood with a host of health-promoting benefits!
This small pumpkin can take you on a culinary trip right around the world. Whether raw or cooked, served as a side dish, pureed, or made into chutney or jam – there are many delicious recipes from across the globe.
You don’t need to peel a Hokkaido pumpkin. And when cooking, just add a little water, because it already has a high water content.
Ingredients for four: 2 red onions, 1 tsp turmeric, ½ tsp chilli flakes, approx. 2 tsp grated ginger, 1 Hokkaido pumpkin, 1–2 potatoes, 1–2 carrots, ½ l vegetable stock, juice of 4 oranges, 250 ml coconut milk, cayenne pepper, curry powder, cinnamon, salt, Kampot pepper, balsamic vinegar
- Chop and gently sauté the red onion. Add the turmeric, chilli flakes and ginger; leave to cook for a short while.
- Add the diced pumpkin, carrot and potato, and sauté briefly.
- Deglaze with the vegetable stock, then add the orange juice and cook over a medium flame for approx. 30 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and seasoning, then purée. Rewarm and add a slug of balsamic vinegar to taste.
- Tip: serve with roasted pumpkin seed and a drizzle of pumpkin seed oil. Bon appetit!
T. +49 2041 1845-57
M. +49 151 11870829
T. +49 2041 1845-35
M. +49 178 7575077